Thursday, May 6, 2010

Food Products

I've been wanting to do this post for a while because people ask me ALL the time..."what do you eat"? and "Just give me a diet and I'll follow it".  My advice for those people that want to just "follow a plan" is this:  you won't be able to stick to the plan forever because you will surely get tired of the same foods over and over.  I try to give my patients/clients education so that they can understand food labels so that they may begin to build their own plan:)  It really is about lifestyle change.

I'm a dietitian, not a magician!

I have no secret!  But I do have the knowledge and education about food and food products and try to use this to the max to get the most nutrition out of foods!  The truth is, I try my best to make healthy choices, but just like everyone else, I am a busy wife, mom and I have a full time job.  So I will keep it real here and be the first to let you know that we all eat junk from time to time.  But, I do try to eat healthy foods and wanted to showcase a few products that we eat here in the Rushing house!  (And no I am not being paid for this!...I wish I was though...hint hint, Morningstar!)


Morningstar Farms Meal Starters.  Specifically these crumblers.  They are about the price of a 1 pound package of ground beef and serve as a decent replacement.  We use them in spaghetti and lasagna.  I'm also a big fan of Morningstar breakfast sausages every now and then.  They taste like the real deal!  Another favorite, Morningstar black bean burgers.  These are great.  I usually saute these and then cut them into strips for quesadilla night.  They are so good.


Greek Yogurt!  Not any brand specifically, but I've tried Oikos, Chiobani, and Dannon and they are all good.  I'm not crazy about the honey flavor, but again, I don't really like honey.  Greek yogurt is very thick and has about 15 grams of protein per container and no fat!  You can use the plain flavor as a substitute for sour cream. 


Sandwich thins!  Again, no specific brand, we have tried Arnold's and I think Nature's Own.  These are 100 calories each and come with 5 grams of fiber!  They taste good too.  We use these instead of hamburger buns and obviously for sandwhices. 


These are just a few items that we like and are relatively healthy choices.  Obviously we also eat "real" food, not in the form of products!  

Happy Thursday!

Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment