Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Lasagna night

I made lasagna tonight and as usual it never disappoints.  Lasagna is my husband's favorite meal and I think it is relatively easy to make, so I whipped it up for tonight's dinner.  Now I know that I am a dietitian, but yall, I live in the South and still know what it takes to make some good food, even if that means a little fat and calories here and there!  I will say that I do try to cut down on the fat when I can but there are some meals that you absolutely must use full fat ingredients in.  Lasagna, however, is not one of those.  Here's my recipe:

Lasagna

1 pound lasagna noodles ( I use the no boil kind)
1 pound ground hamburger meat (ground turkey would be a healthier choice)
1 15 oz container ricotta cheese or 2 cups cottage cheese (I use part skim ricotta normally)
2 eggs ( again, you could get by with only 1 egg or even egg beaters)
1 Cup mozzarella cheese (again you can use part skim to make it lighter)
1/2 Cup parmesean cheese and some extra for the top
6 1/2 Cups of your favorite pasta sauce ( I normally use one of those big ragu containers and then doctor it up with some seasonings..it's just faster this way)
1/2 C chopped onion (optional)
1 Tbsp chopped garlic (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Saute onions until they become soft and add garlic.  Add hamburger meat and cook until browned.  Drain.  Add pasta sauce and seasonings and reduce heat.  In separate bowl mix eggs, mozerella, ricotta, and parmesean cheeses together.  In casserole dish put some meat sauce down first, then layer with uncooked noodles, cheese mixture, meat sauce mixture until you run out of layers.  Top with parmesean cheese and cover with foil.  Cook for 55 minutes.  Uncover and cook 5 more minutes until bubbly.  And Volia!  It's delicious!

We haven't really been doing too much lately and I haven't uploaded pics lately so I will post again about Emmie's latest adventures tomorrow.  My last week of maternity leave is next week and it makes me very sad to think about it, but the good news is we have some family friends who are going to keep Emmie for us instead of having to put her in daycare!  Amen for that blessing!  We just wanted to try to keep her out of daycare for a little while at least until flu season is over.  Plus it makes me rest a little easier knowing that somebody is gonna love on her all day long:)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment